Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Historic Preservation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Bonita Springs board approves demolition of former Wonder Gardens restaurant

Bonita Springs Planning and Zoning Board · May 5, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Planning and Zoning Board approved a certificate allowing demolition of the former Wonder Gardens restaurant at 27100-180 Old 41 Road, citing safety concerns and city council direction; the vote was 5-0 after staff presented council minutes and facilities assessments.

The Bonita Springs Planning and Zoning Board voted unanimously to approve a certificate of appropriateness allowing the city to pursue demolition of the former Wonder Gardens restaurant at 27100-180 Old 41 Road.

Mike Fegan of the city’s Community Development staff told the board that city council, as owner of the property, had discussed the building and on Dec. 17, 2025 “voted on city council to go ahead and instruct staff … to go through the demolition process” for the structure. Fegan said facilities assessments and meeting documentation in the board’s packet described safety concerns and the likely financial burden of restoring the building.

Why it matters: public-safety concerns and the property’s condition were central to staff’s presentation. Fegan said the building is fenced and inaccessible and that engineers’ reports and the council’s green sheet explained the council’s decision to pursue demolition rather than rehabilitation.

Board discussion focused on whether private funds or alternative plans existed to preserve the structure. A member asked whether any private interest had offered to preserve the building; Fegan said he was not aware of any private funding offers and that the site had been vacant for roughly a decade. Another member asked whether the Winter/Wonder Gardens master plan depended on retaining the building; Fegan said some master-plan components are moving forward but “nothing in their plans at present hinge on the existence of the demolition of this building.”

Committee member (speaker 2) moved to approve the certificate of appropriateness for the property and another member seconded. The clerk called the roll and the measure passed 5-0.

The board’s action is advisory for this historic-preservation process: Fegan noted that if the board denies a certificate of appropriateness, an applicant could appeal to city council — and council, as owner, had already instructed staff to pursue demolition. The board approved the certificate after weighing the council record, the facility assessments and the apparent lack of private interest in restoration.

Next steps: staff will proceed with the demolition process in line with the council’s direction and applicable city procedures. The board did not set a timeline for demolition during the meeting.