Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Environmental Health topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents, council raise health and traffic concerns over nearby landfill expansion

San Clemente City Council · May 6, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council heard a staff briefing and residents’ comments about the proposed expansion and increased tonnage at the nearby Prima De Seche/Bridal Desecio landfill, including claims about lithium batteries entering the site and requests for enforceable monitoring and host-fee mitigation (no formal county action recorded).

San Clemente residents and councilmembers pressed county and city staff May 12 for clearer answers about the potential expansion and rising daily tonnage at the Bridal Desecio (Prima De Seche) landfill and the local impacts it may bring.

City staff summarized the environmental-review history and explained the SEIR process, noting that portions of the landfill lie within San Clemente’s boundaries. Staff highlighted community concerns about air quality, hazardous materials, traffic, noise and biological resources and said the city submitted formal comments seeking enforceable performance standards. Councilmember Cabral and multiple residents described a recent town hall that drew more than 100 residents and included presentations from County officials and representatives. Cabral flagged an environmental concern she said was documented in a state report: an estimated 40,000 pounds per year of lithium batteries enter state landfills, and the council has written to the county seeking follow-up and possible mitigation.

Speakers at the public meeting urged more monitoring and accountability if tonnage increases are approved. Several residents called for host‑fee mitigation for San Clemente, citing a prior 2018 expansion agreement under which a neighboring jurisdiction received guaranteed annual payments. Staff said the city had been invited to present a mitigation proposal to the county.

Councilmembers agreed to agendize further, more detailed discussion at a future meeting so staff can return with additional information, potential funding requests and options for monitoring and public-health mitigation. No county approvals or final county decisions were recorded at the council meeting; the council’s action was limited to directing staff to pursue further review and to prepare follow-up agenda items.