Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Fair Fares topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council says it is ready to settle Fair Fares litigation and urges administration to drop appeal

New York City Council · April 2, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Speaker Johnson said the Council has put settlement options on the table to protect vulnerable New Yorkers under Fair Fares, urged the administration to stop litigating, and said details are part of ongoing settlement discussions.

The Council signaled it is prepared to reach a settlement in litigation over the Fair Fares program and urged the administration to drop its appeal so talks can proceed. "We've been ready, willing, and able to settle the issue around Fair Fares," the Speaker said, adding the Council had outlined responsible settlement options in conversations with the administration but would not disclose specifics because they are part of negotiations.

The Speaker said continued litigation only delays a settlement that could protect vulnerable New Yorkers and that the Council had been in active conversations with the administration about how to move forward. She declined to detail the settlement options publicly, saying they are part of confidential negotiation discussions.

The Council reiterated it will continue to press for program expansion while balancing fiscal responsibility in the budget talks.