Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Housing topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents urge faster action on demo ordinance, allege city staff tipped off developer on SB protections

Campbell City Council · May 6, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Multiple residents told the council they are worried a revised demolition‑vacancy ordinance leaves a loophole that could allow a developer to claim SB 330 or SB 1123 protections; Alan Kronover alleged Community Development Director Rob Eastwood informed developer Alpha X about filing protections, a claim characterized as a process and transparency concern by speakers.

Residents raised concerns at the May 5 Campbell City Council meeting about a proposed starter‑home project at 1170 Steinway and a recently revised demolition‑to‑vacancy ordinance.

Alan Kronover told the council he met with Community Development Director Rob Eastwood on April 13 and later learned that Eastwood advised the developer, Alpha X, to file an SB 330 (state statute) application — a state statute that can protect development standards for a period after filing. Kronover said Eastwood’s outreach to the developer occurred before the city closed an alleged loophole in the ordinance and described the outreach as improper for a neutral city official. “He stepped out of his role as a neutral city building official,” Kronover said.

Keenan Heath and other commenters questioned the planning department’s timing in contacting the state housing agency (HCD) and asked whether the city is improperly grandfathering applications. Heath said it would have been prudent to consult HCD earlier in drafting the ordinance. Rodolfo, speaking online, argued that SB 330 does not make an ineligible project eligible and urged the council to add the matter to an agenda for clarification on how pending applications will be treated under the revised vacancy standard.

Other public commenters expressed differing views about the causes of high housing prices and the value of increasing supply. Chris Lindsey said constrained supply and increasing demand drive prices and urged the council to consider the long‑term effects of limiting housing supply.

Speakers asked the council to act quickly to finalize a demolition ordinance and to clarify whether the city will 'grandfather' existing applications. City staff acknowledged the council is continuing to work with its attorney and that urgency ordinances come directly to the council, while other ordinance changes would go to the planning commission and require additional notice and time.

No formal action on the specific starter‑home project was taken at the meeting; the council said staff would continue to review the matter and return with information.