Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Debris Cleanup topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

DeSoto Parish amends road fund, adds $300,000 to finish ice-storm debris cleanup

DeSoto Parish Police Jury · March 17, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The jury amended the road fund by $300,000 to complete ice-storm debris removal after hearing that contractors have hauled about 21,891 cubic yards and cut roughly 280 trees and 3,748 limbs; parish officials said eligible costs may be reimbursed up to 75%.

MANSFIELD, La. — The DeSoto Parish Police Jury on March 16 approved a $300,000 amendment to the road fund budget to finish debris removal from a recent ice storm.

The administrator reported that the debris contractor has so far cut approximately 280 trees, removed about 3,748 hanging limbs and hauled roughly 21,891 cubic yards of vegetative debris to the burn pit. The additional funds requested at the March 16 meeting were estimated to complete another 20,000 cubic yards of vegetation removal.

Jurors pressed staff on how work is documented and prioritized. Road department representatives said crews and contractors issue work orders that record which roads were serviced; those work orders are used to dispatch crews, document progress and support requests for reimbursement. The administrator said the parish expects to recover eligible costs through state reimbursement programs—up to roughly 75% for qualifying expenses—if documentation of work and labor hours is maintained.

Members also discussed responsibility for debris cut by utility companies; officials said debris created by electric companies remains the utility’s responsibility to remove. Jurors were advised that some areas the contractor cannot reach will be handled by parish road crews.

Next steps: Staff will continue debris operations using the additional appropriation, document completed work orders for each street and pursue available reimbursements. The jury voted to approve the $300,000 amendment on a roll-call vote.