Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Federal Funding topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Montlair wins $1.85 million in congressional project requests; officials say funds remain contingent on FY26 appropriations

Montlair City Council · November 3, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Outside consultants told the Montlair City Council that Representative Torres secured $850,000 for a fire-department tiller truck and Senator Adam Schiff secured $1 million for a 2.42-acre community park, but both requests remain subject to completion of FY26 appropriations and a partial federal shutdown.

David Church, a consultant for the city, and Jamie Jones, who worked with city staff on congressional requests, updated the Montlair City Council on federal project funding the city has had advanced in the FY26 appropriations process.

Jones told the council that Representative Norma Torres had secured a $850,000 House request for a tractor-tiller truck intended to improve the fire department’s reach and maneuverability in structural fires. He added that Senator Adam Schiff’s Senate submission included a $1 million request to develop a 2.42-acre community park on a former police impound lot, with native landscaping, an interpretive promenade, playground equipment, fitness stations and picnic areas. “The beauty of the EDI account…is that there is no local match requirement,” Jones said, describing the account that funds the Senate-side request.

The presentations underscored that both requests are not final appropriations. “We’re in a government shutdown because we can’t do our job,” David Church said, describing how unresolved appropriations and the choice between a continuing resolution or individual appropriations bills can affect earmarks and community projects. Council members pressed Jones on whether the city was guaranteed the funds; Jones and staff repeatedly said the requests are contingent on Congress completing the FY26 appropriations process and on how a final package treats earmarked items.

Council members received a further accounting of previously committed amounts: the city has received $2 million for Saratoga Park, a $1 million commitment for transit-center improvements, and $800,000 for police body-worn cameras; Jones said an earlier $1.5 million transit-center commitment was rescinded. Jones recommended continued advocacy and noted the city should begin preparing FY27 requests and plans tied to the upcoming surface-transportation reauthorization.

Members discussed practical next steps. Several councilmembers supported placing a Washington, D.C., advocacy trip on a future agenda so any delegation would be authorized under Brown Act rules and have a clear set of priorities to present to the congressional delegation. The workshop concluded with the mayor noting no public comments on the workshop items and reminding the council of the regular 7 p.m. meeting.

The funding announcements reported to the council are contingent on congressional action and executive-branch processing; the amounts described above should be considered committed requests or agency-level commitments rather than completed appropriations.