Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Homicide topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
York City police renew probe into 2017 killing of 21-year-old Jose Ponte
Summary
York City Police Department’s Remember Me Project revisited the unsolved Oct. 31, 2017, homicide of 21-year-old Jose Ponte. Detectives said a video shows the shooting, Detective Shawn Wilson was named lead investigator, and outreach staff urged witnesses to contact police.
Get email alerts on the Homicide topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Commissioner Maldro, commissioner of the York City Police Department, opened the episode of the department’s Remember Me Project by saying the program aims to bring renewed attention to cold-case homicides and to solicit information from the public.
Detective Shawn Wilson, whom department leaders named the new lead investigator on the case, said officers were dispatched about 11:30 p.m. on Oct. 31, 2017, to the 300 block of East Market Street for what was initially reported as a cardiac arrest. “Officers responded on scene and they tended to the victim, Jose Ponte, and they noticed while rendering aid that he had sustained two gunshot wounds to his abdomen,” Wilson said. Witnesses reported seeing a younger Black male running away from the area, and video of the incident exists but contains no audio, detectives said.
The host and family members stressed that the neighborhood is not a high-crime area and that Ponte, 21, had been coming from work and a family visit when he was shot. Lillian, Ponte’s aunt, described him as shy but “funny” around family; Naomi, his mother, said the loss has been devastating and expressed gratitude for renewed attention.
Detective Commander Bayas acknowledged the department’s earlier lapse in follow-up contact with the family and said the bureau is reengaging: “We might have lost touch, but we are not forgetting,” he said. Bayas said the renewed effort includes assigning Detective Wilson to continue knocking on doors, reviewing camera footage and keeping the family updated.
Tiff Low, GVI program director and community advocate, described services the program provides to families and the community, including a scholarship fund called More Graduations, Less Funerals for people affected by gun violence and outreach programs intended to deter young people from picking up guns. “One of the things I’ve learned as well is when I bring a mother, a family member, aunt in front of these guys that could potentially go out here and kill someone, you guys actually stop them,” Low said, describing prevention-by-connection efforts.
Throughout the program, department leaders urged residents to check home cameras, recall late-night activity in the area and come forward with any information. “Somebody saw something,” Commissioner Maldro said. “York is only five square miles. Somebody had this on a Ring camera. Somebody drove by and saw something.”
The episode closed with the department thanking the family for participating and reiterating a request that anyone with information contact York City police; no arrest or named suspect was announced on the program.

