Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Building Code topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Troy City appeals board postpones hearing on Steve Dickerson’s wood‑burning sauna heater
Summary
The Troy City Building Code Board of Appeals voted unanimously on May 6 to postpone a hearing on a homeowner’s wood‑burning sauna heater installed at 5268 Hale after the applicant submitted additional documents; the case is scheduled to return on June 3 and public comment will be reopened.
Get email alerts on the Building Code topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Troy City Building Code Board of Appeals voted unanimously on May 6 to postpone a hearing on a wood‑burning sauna heater installed by property owner Steve Dickerson, saying the board needs time to review additional materials submitted by the applicant.
The board’s staff presenter, Dominic, told the panel that Dickerson installed an accessory structure in the rear yard containing an “approximately 100‑square‑foot wood‑burning solid‑fuel sauna heater” and that a final mechanical inspection was disapproved under the 2015 Michigan Residential Code. Dominic said the owner is asking that a Harvia Legend 150 wood‑burning sauna heater already purchased and installed be approved as a specialized application “based on the approved permit documents, the inspection history, manufacturer information, and the absence of a viable UL‑listed alternative.”
Why it matters: the board’s decision to delay gives members time to review the newly submitted documents and allows the public to file additional comment before the item is reheard. Dominic said the new materials will be posted to the city’s public file and that all future notifications will be sent to reopen the public comment period when the case returns.
Celine moved to postpone the hearing so the board could review the applicant’s additional information; Canty seconded. The board opened the public comment period at the meeting and, seeing no members of the public wishing to speak, closed it before the vote. The motion carried unanimously.
Vote tally (as read at the meeting): Mister Dezermann — yes; Mister Friesen — yes; Mister Wilson — yes; Mister Evathira — yes; Miss Brooks — yes. The chair confirmed the item will appear on the June 3 agenda; if that date changes the item will move to the next meeting.
Board members also discussed whether fire‑code or open‑burning rules apply to the installation. Chris asked that a fire department representative weigh in on open‑burning issues; Dominic said the item had been presented to the fire department and that the department had “no comment,” and the board agreed to add that response to the record.
Next steps: Dominic said the applicant’s additional documents will be reposted for public review and that the board will rehear the case on June 3 (or at the next available meeting if schedules change).

