Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Drc Humanitarian topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

UN: DRC appeal only 30% funded as violence displaces tens of thousands; Peacebuilding Fund backs anti-corruption work in Guinea-Bissau

United Nations Spokesperson Briefing · April 2, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

OCHA warned of rising violence in eastern DRC with recent killings, abductions and new displacements while the $1.4 billion humanitarian appeal is reported as only 30% funded; separately, the UN Peacebuilding Fund approved $2.5 million for anti-corruption work in Guinea-Bissau.

The United Nations reported a worsening humanitarian situation in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, where OCHA and partners documented renewed violence, killings and large new displacements.

Stephane told reporters that in Ituri province at least 30 civilians were reportedly killed in armed attacks yesterday in the locality of Bafwa Bafwakwa, bringing the local civilian toll since March 11 to more than 100. Local partners reported more than 390 people abducted in the period noted and that the violence has triggered a new wave of displacement — adding roughly 50,000 people to previously displaced populations in affected territories.

The spokesperson said health facilities have been looted and nine health facilities in Mombasa territory suspended operations, limiting care for more than 55,000 people. Between March 16 and 27, more than 30,000 people in Wesso town, Masisi, received food assistance despite ongoing insecurity.

Stephane added that the DRC humanitarian appeal stands at $1.4 billion and is only about 30% funded, with just over $421 million received so far; he said the response remains critically underfunded and needs more funding and cash.

Separately, the UN Peacebuilding Fund approved $2.5 million for an initiative in Guinea-Bissau aimed at strengthening anti-corruption efforts, to be implemented by the UN Development Programme and the UN Office on Drugs and Crime. The initiative will prioritize oversight and audit institutions, digital solutions, civil society and accountability mechanisms at the community level.

The spokesperson urged all armed groups to respect international humanitarian law and to facilitate safe and unhindered humanitarian access.