Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the School Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Superintendent Dr. Ferris previews budget, capital-reserve plans and April 21 hearing for Sayville schools
Summary
Superintendent Dr. Ferris and business official Mr. Bartell presented the Sayville Union Free School District's third budget preview, outlining a 1.94% spending increase, a 2.791% projected tax-levy change (within the cap), proposed capital-reserve projects and the April 21 public hearing; contingency cuts were detailed if voters reject the budget.
Get email alerts on the School Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Sayville Union Free School District Superintendent Dr. Ferris on Wednesday delivered the district's third and final budget presentation, saying the plan preserves programs, reduces reliance on reserves and asks voters to approve a separate capital-reserve proposition to fund facility upgrades.
The budget presented is a 1.94% spending increase with a projected tax-levy change of 2.791%, which the district said remains under the state tax cap and therefore requires only a simple majority to pass. Mr. Bartell, the district's school business official, told the board the district has closed a revenue/expense gap from $5.5 million to under $500,000 since last year, when officials discovered a roughly $3.8 million shortfall days before a budget presentation.
The superintendent highlighted program expansions made over the past four years — elementary world language, expanded elementary staffing, STEAM labs, additional AIS supports, and more AP and elective offerings at the high school — and said the budget maintains those offerings while setting aside capital dollars for building needs.
Officials described several possible capital-reserve projects that would be put to voters: about $450,000 for high-school auditorium lighting and sound; reconfigurations of weight/fitness and dance spaces; turf and field upgrades at the middle and high schools; middle-school science-lab redesigns; playground replacements at three elementary schools; and expanded exterior camera and security capabilities. The district said the capital reserve funds were set aside in prior years and that the proposition would not require additional taxes if voters approve it.
Mr. Bartell also warned the board of the consequences if voters reject the budget. If a budget proposal fails twice, state rules require the board to adopt a contingency budget (no increase in the tax levy). He said that would eliminate a $1.5 million transfer to capital, restrict purchases of new equipment, and require community groups to pay full facility-use costs; other reductions could affect equipment and program spending.
On enrollment, Mr. Bartell said the district has experienced a long-term decline over about a decade, with kindergarten enrollment hovering near 170–190 and some uncertainty in near-term projections. To manage staffing flexibility, the proposed budget includes two contingent teaching positions that could be activated if enrollment warrants.
Key logistics announced: the preliminary budget hearing and board adoption is scheduled for Tuesday, April 21, at 7:30 p.m. in the middle-school auditorium. Voter registration was listed as due by May 14; absentee ballots will be available until April 20 and must be received by the district clerk by 5:00 p.m. on May 19 (the day of the vote). The district said all budget documents and presentations are posted on its website and that officials will run a community engagement process on proposed capital projects.
The board approved three grouped consent-item batches by voice vote during the meeting and then moved into an executive session to discuss the employment history of a staff member.

