Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Funding topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

New Britain officials describe $14 million Allen Street plan; $3 million secured, $5 million LOTS application due in February

New Britain Common Council · January 15, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City staff told the council the Allen Street infrastructure project is currently estimated at about $14 million, with $6 million locally committed, $3 million already secured (including $2 million state bonding and roughly $1 million from EPA), and a $5 million LOTS application planned for February 2026.

City staff told the New Britain Common Council on Jan. 14 that the Allen Street reconstruction is estimated at about $14 million and that the city has secured $3 million in funding so far while pursuing additional state and federal grants.

"$6 million has been committed locally," the city's representative said, and "we secured $2 million in state bonding and just under $1 million from the U.S. EPA" that was reallocated to sewer work specific to the Allen Street scope. The staff member said the combined total thus far is about $3 million beyond the local commitment.

The project team plans to submit a $5 million application to the LOTS program in February 2026 and said the LOTS rules allow a subsequent increase of up to 20 percent. "Optimistically, we know that...the project should score very well," the staff member said, adding that communities in the region generally score favorably.

Council members asked for clarifications about how the EPA funds were accepted and whether a resolution is required to accept the earmarked grant. One councilor requested that the financial package be presented in full to the council once all components are finalized.

If the LOTS funding is awarded, staff said the project would proceed through DOT review and then go to bid; the timeline depends on agency review schedules and other approvals. The staff representative and several councilors emphasized the project's importance, noting it has been discussed for years and affects neighborhood sewer infrastructure and property conditions.

The council voted to accept the project report and thanked staff and the mayor for continued work on the effort. No binding construction contract was awarded at the meeting; funding and procurement will return to council when specific grant and contract documents are ready.