Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Vacation Home Rentals topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
South Lake Tahoe council advances first reading of stricter rules for vacation home rentals after hours of public comment
Summary
Council held a first reading of an ordinance tightening vacation home rental (VHR) rules outside the tourist core — including a 150‑foot buffer, stricter operational requirements, lower occupancy limits and stronger penalties — and heard several hours of public comment from owners, managers and residents.
Get email alerts on the Vacation Home Rentals topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The South Lake Tahoe City Council on June 3 completed a first reading of an ordinance that would impose new limits and enforcement measures on short‑term vacation home rentals outside the city’s tourist corridor. The ordinance, drafted after council direction in May, would add a 150‑foot spacing buffer between VHRs, require a designated property manager and 24/7 responsiveness, mandate indoor noise monitoring and outdoor video monitoring of trash and parking, and lower occupancy to two people per bedroom (with an exception for up to five children under age 13). Council staff said permits would be issued by the police department and the city would phase in a monthly cap on permit releases to manage workload.
The change also exempts attached condominium units that held permits as of Sept. 1, 2016, and would require defensible‑space inspections and higher fines for repeat violations. Appeals of permit denials or revocations would go to the Planning Commission under the proposed code language. City attorney Heather Strad told council the draft tracks prior motions from May and is intended to close enforcement gaps in the earlier code.
“The ordinance we’re presenting today replaces the waiting‑list structure with a spacing approach and tightens operational rules so the city can respond faster to nuisance complaints,” Strad said during the staff presentation.
The meeting drew more than two hours of public comment from homeowners, operators and neighborhood residents. Several long‑time property owners and professional managers urged the council to preserve or prioritize prior permit holders, saying the owners relied on permits when buying and maintaining properties. “When I purchased my home I paid a premium for mixed‑use zoning and relied on short‑term rental income to afford the mortgage,” Dory Irwin, a homeowner, told council. “I urge you to exclude commercial and mixed‑use zoning from overly restrictive changes.”
Property managers and industry representatives supported many operational elements — including mandatory property managers, noise monitoring and trash controls — but urged the council to remove or rework the 150‑foot buffer so permit numbers are not overly reduced. “Buffers can produce very uneven outcomes based on who applies first,” said Lauren Gres of RNR Vacation Rentals. “We support stronger enforcement and family‑friendly occupancy limits, but spacing rules as drawn could leave hundreds of former permit holders without recourse.”
Other residents and neighborhood groups pushed the council to adopt tighter restrictions, saying clustering of VHRs previously produced repeated nuisance events and emergency‑response calls. Several speakers described examples of repeated late‑night noise, parking spillover and trash that they said policing and property management did not resolve under the old rules.
Council members split on the spacing requirement and on how fast to issue permits if the ordinance is adopted. Several members said they supported most of the operational changes but asked staff to return with clearer data on the likely number of permits that would be issued under a buffer versus a cap. “We need a defensible, data‑driven prioritization so we don’t accidentally drive litigation or leave large groups of prior permit holders without a path forward,” Council Member Jenkins said.
The council approved the ordinance for a first reading; staff said a revised ordinance, fee schedule for cost recovery and a resolution to set permitting preference and monthly permit release schedules would return for a second reading and potential adoption on June 17. If adopted, permit issuance would follow program build‑out and a 30‑day effective period, staff said.
What’s next: The council is scheduled to take a second reading June 17. Staff will bring a proposed fee schedule and implementation timeline with a recommendation for how many permits can be staged per month and whether to prioritize former permit holders who were in good standing. The Planning Commission will hear appeals of permit denials or revocations under the draft code.
Attribution: statements quoted above come from the June 3 council meeting and are attributed to the speakers who made them, including Heather Strad (city attorney), Dory Irwin (homeowner) and Lauren Gres (industry representative).

