Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Civic Accountability topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Journalist urges incoming Millville commission to address alleged campaign-era censorship; commissioner says Code Blue funds were not withheld

Millville City Commission · November 5, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

During public comment, Steve Soloff (infortheenj.com) urged the incoming commission to confront alleged campaign-era censorship and intimidation; Commissioner Suie countered that the city did not withhold Code Blue funds and said he delivered the grant check to the Hope Center after county transmission.

During the public-comment portion of the meeting, Steve Soloff, founder of infortheenj.com, thanked candidates and raised a series of concerns about how campaign-era communications and behaviors might carry into the new commission. Soloff asked that the incoming board address alleged internal and external censorship, ensure professional accessibility, and protect those who engage with city government from retaliation.

Soloff framed several questions for the commission, including how it would handle behaviors ‘‘that amount to censorship both internally among commissioners and externally in interactions with the press or public?’’ He also asked what steps the new leadership would take to prevent rumor-driven politics from damaging reputations.

Later in the meeting Commissioner Suie responded to a circulating rumor concerning Code Blue funds for the Hope Center, saying he had worked with the CFO and county officials to determine the funds had not been transmitted to the city until shortly before he hand-delivered the check. Suie said the suggestion that the city intentionally withheld funds was ‘‘not true.’’ He also said he had been cleared in the latest investigation that was raised during the campaign.

Several other public commenters expressed gratitude to candidates and urged civility and accountability in the transition to a new commission; Joe Southern and others also raised local road-safety issues such as deep uncovered manholes on South Second Street.

The commission did not take formal action on the public-comment requests during the meeting; staff follow-up and interdepartmental coordination were referenced for the sinkhole repair, grant administration, and public-safety concerns.