Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Unsafe Structure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Magistrate gives 56 days for permits or demolition at Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel; prospective buyer says sale imminent
Summary
The magistrate found the North Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel to be an unsafe structure and ordered the respondent to apply for rehabilitation or demolition permits within 56 days or face city-authorized demolition; a broker for a potential buyer said his client expects to close the sale next week and plans repairs.
Get email alerts on the Unsafe Structure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The special magistrate hearing on April 16, 2026 included a prolonged unsafe-structure case for the North Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel (case BE25110158). The city described structural deterioration and multiple open violations and recommended a short compliance window; the magistrate ordered the respondent 56 days to either apply for permits to rehabilitate the building or obtain a demolition permit, and authorized the city to proceed with demolition if neither step is taken.
Inspector Searian Anescu presented photographs and inspection findings showing degraded wood, missing closures and other conditions the city said made the building "unsafe and uninhabitable." Assistant city counsel Ronald Mononttoya Hassan summarized the property’s history, including foreclosure and bankruptcy filings for the corporate owner, and told the magistrate the neighborhood has repeatedly complained about the unfinished structure.
At the hearing a broker representing a prospective buyer, Frank Amselum, asserted his client planned to close quickly and invest in repairs; he told the magistrate his buyer had funds from a 1031 exchange and intended to pursue permits and to begin repairs soon. "We're looking to close next week," Amselum said, noting his client had already spent about $800 on an initial cleanup as a gesture of good faith.
City staff said the current owner cannot renew or proceed with permits while a "lock" remains on the property tied to unresolved prior violations and permitting deficiencies; staff said a new owner with fresh sealed engineering documents can submit new applications. The city recommended 56 days for the respondent to either file for the required rehabilitation permits or apply for demolition. The magistrate agreed and set an order to reappear at the June 9 hearing to allow staff to report progress.
The magistrate emphasized the order presents two alternatives: either apply for and obtain permits to restore the property to code, or obtain a demolition permit; otherwise the city is authorized to take steps necessary to demolish the structure at the owner’s expense. No fines were imposed at the hearing because the city's requested alternate relief was demolition authority in the event of noncompliance.
The case record includes prior permit history and a requirement for signed-and-sealed engineering documentation; the hearing listed June 9 as the reappearance date for a status update.
The magistrate’s order is administrative; next steps will depend on whether a new owner files complete permit applications with the building division and whether the city staff confirms progress at the June 9 status hearing.

