Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Epic Hotel Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Pico Rivera moves to court against Epic Hotel after residents report loitering, safety concerns
Summary
After residents described loitering, drug use and threats to pedestrian safety near the Epic Hotel, the city reported it has issued a cease-and-desist, filed a complaint and will seek a temporary restraining order; councilors urged continued enforcement and added patrols.
Get email alerts on the Epic Hotel Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Pico Rivera city leaders told residents on Monday that the city has escalated enforcement against the Epic Hotel and will pursue judicial relief after the motel failed to comply with a cease-and-desist order.
Mayor Camacho said the cease-and-desist order issued to the Epic Hotel expired on April 3 and that compliance has not been achieved. “The city filed a complaint last week and will be seeking a temporary restraining order through the court this week to stop any further unlawful operations on the property,” the mayor said, adding that the city is acting "deliberately, lawfully, and without delay."
The city attorney told the council that staff has been finalizing evidence and that the office will file the necessary court motion and pursue available legal remedies for what staff described as a nuisance created by the property’s operators and owner. The attorney said the council directed the city attorney’s office to be "aggressive and to follow all necessary and required steps established by law."
Residents who live near the property urged faster, more visible intervention during the public-comment period. Antulio Memila described an incident in which a person experiencing homelessness tried to open his gate and asked whether the city would increase patrols near the hotel. “I called the police department and they came by and some time later drove by,” Memila said, and asked whether there would be more on-site patrols beyond the private security currently contracted by the city.
Other speakers described persistent loitering, drug use and trash that they say make the neighborhood unsafe. "I'm scared for my son that he attends the middle school," said Martha Ponce, who said students must pass the hotel when walking to and from school. Leticia Moreno, who lives across from the hotel, asked the city to increase cleanup efforts and extend private security coverage, saying she has seen people urinating and smoking near her home.
City officials said the sheriff’s department and a private security contractor are patrolling the area and that staff are coordinating daily monitoring with county partners. The mayor also said the city has communicated with state and regional elected officials, naming State Senator Bob Archuleta, Assemblymember Lisa Calderón and Supervisor Janice Hahn as engaged with staff on the situation.
The council called for residents with detailed incidents to provide declarations to support the city’s court filings. City staff said code enforcement officers continue to document conditions and issue citations while the city prepares its court motion.
The council did not hold a public vote on litigation in open session; the mayor and city attorney reported the closed-session deliberation and described the legal steps the city is taking. City officials said more factual details will be provided to residents as they become available and urged anyone with firsthand incidents to speak with staff after the meeting.

