Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council approves single-family residence and oak tree permit for Valdez Road lot

Calabasas City Council · June 11, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The council voted 5-0 to approve a development plan, site plan, oak tree permit (one 2.2" coast live oak removal with mitigation) and scenic corridor permit for a 1,959-sq-ft home at 2348 Valdez Road following staff and Planning Commission recommendations.

The Calabasas City Council unanimously approved permits on June 11 for a proposed single-family home at 2348 Valdez Road, concluding a multi-year review that addressed septic design, oak tree protection and scenic-corridor visibility.

City Planner Jacqueline Rackerby presented the project: a one-story, 1,959-square-foot residence with a 472-square-foot attached garage on an 18,542-square-foot lot within the OS (open space) zone and a scenic-corridor overlay. The plan requires a septic system (the area is not served by sewer), a fire-turnaround on site because Valdez Road functions like a cul-de-sac, encroachment within protected oak tree root zones and removal of one 2.2-inch-diameter coast live oak tree. The applicant proposed mitigation by relocating or replacing the tree on site and provided story poles that were installed March 20, 2025.

Planning history and findings: Staff said the architecture review panel and the planning commission reviewed the design and recommended approval; the planning commission adopted Resolution 2025-88 recommending approval to council. Rackerby noted prior structures had been demolished following a code-enforcement case and that the project conforms to open-space zone standards and municipal code requirements; environmental review concluded the project is exempt under CEQA Guidelines sections 15061 (general rule) and 15303 (new construction).

Council members asked about the long timeline (initial reviews in 2019, later planning commission hearings in May 2025), septic dispersal and oak-tree mitigation. Staff said the timeline reflected design changes required to meet current septic standards, adjustments to dispersal fields to avoid overlap with the required fire turnaround and modifications to the oak-tree report.

Outcome: Council Member Albert moved approval; Council Member Shapiro seconded. The council voted 5-0 to adopt Resolution 2025-1967 and approve DPR-209-00001, PL190492, PL1901497 and PL1901494 as recommended by staff and the planning commission.

Next steps: The project will proceed under the approved permits with required mitigation measures for oak removal and required septic and fire-turnaround construction before occupancy.