Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Housing topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

City officials ask county for $650,000 for shelter beds, outline package of affordable‑housing initiatives

Legislative Budget Hearings · March 6, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City housing officials told the legislative budget hearing they are seeking $650,000 from the county for shelter beds and warming‑center capacity and described an array of complementary initiatives — a 131‑unit mixed‑income project near BMC, historic‑preservation loans, private donations and programs to seed homeownership and master‑leasing for recruits.

City housing officials on Tuesday asked county leaders for an additional $650,000 to expand emergency shelter capacity and warming‑center options as part of a broader affordable‑housing package that pairs federal, city and philanthropic dollars.

Kevin Bose, director of Housing and Neighborhood Development, told the legislative budget hearing that the request is part of a city–county partnership to fund shelter beds and other emergency resources. “Last year the city with council’s approval provided an additional $300,000, which was matched by the county,” Bose said, adding the new ask would support seasonal and nonseasonal shelter responses as partnerships and space allow.

Bose and his team presented multiple linked initiatives designed to increase housing supply and prevent evictions. They said ARPA funds already moved quickly into a public‑private deal that will support 131 affordable apartment units next to BMC; staff described the project as mixed income, with a majority targeted at 60% area median income and other units supported by project‑based vouchers and a small number of rapid‑rehousing units.

The department also requested $200,000 to replenish a revolving residential historic‑preservation fund (staff reported a current fund balance of about $462,000), and described a zero‑interest middle‑housing loan program that has made two loans to date — one conversion and one vacant‑lot project about to break ground.

Officials said Mayor’s office‑raised private commitments totaling $1.75 million to augment the affordable‑housing fund; $500,000 already came to the city and another $500,000 is held by United Way pending drawdown. Bose said $440,000 of philanthropic capital would be used to incentivize roughly 22 homeownership units through gap financing, and an additional $400,000 would seed an “Overcoming Barriers” program focused on in‑fill homeownership.

The administration proposed a $100,000 seed for a master‑leasing program dubbed informally as a recruits‑housing initiative. Bose said the fund would master‑lease market‑rate apartments and place public‑safety recruits so they can assume leases after an initial period; the idea responds to prior hires who left because they could not find housing.

Officials also described a triparty agreement to restore supportive‑services case‑worker capacity at four KCDC towers that serve high‑need residents. The city, KCDC and service provider CAC will share costs; KCDC currently contributes about $31,000 and staff said that would rise toward $40,000 under the proposed increase.

Why it matters: Officials framed the requests as a coordinated effort to keep people housed, expand affordable supply and reduce downstream costs such as eviction and emergency response. The council will review details in an upcoming workshop on homeless services scheduled later this month.

The hearing recorded no final vote on the requests; staff said further budget decisions will be made after additional briefings and the council’s workshop.