Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Nuisance Declaration topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Homewood council declares 2011 Dale Avenue a public nuisance after neighbors raise safety concerns
Summary
After neighbors described a 40-foot dead tree, overgrowth and debris that they said threaten children and sightlines, the Homewood City Council voted 5–0 April 27 to declare 2011 Dale Avenue a public nuisance and directed staff to remove hazardous vegetation and pursue enforcement steps (resolution 2637).
Get email alerts on the Nuisance Declaration topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Homewood City Council voted 5–0 April 27 to declare a narrow lot at 2011 Dale Avenue a public nuisance after neighbors described a long-running condition that they say poses safety hazards and blights the neighborhood.
Residents who live on Dale and nearby Irving and Grace streets told the council the lot is overgrown, contains rubble and at least one large dead tree that could fall into a street or onto pedestrians. "It pains me to even look at that house," said Betsy Saab, a 47-year resident, describing the lot as an "eyesore" and a risk to children who use nearby alleys. Another resident, Hannah of 129 Irving, said she "holds my breath" when children walk near the tree.
Scott Cook of the city's code-enforcement staff told the council he had mailed notices to the owner but received no response; certified and first-class mail were returned or undeliverable. Cook said the house that previously stood on the neighboring 203 Dale parcel was condemned and removed, and that the builder responsible for 203 had recently mowed the former house lot. "I've had no correspondence whatsoever with the property owner," Cook said of 2011, and he described the 2011 parcel as a small, pie-shaped sliver that is likely unbuildable.
Council members asked how quickly staff could act; Cook said public works could assess the dead tree immediately and remove vegetation the department deems safe for in-house crews, but removal that involves power lines would require an outside contractor and could take longer. Council also discussed standard enforcement steps, including placing liens on the property to recover removal costs.
Councelor Sims moved to declare the property a public nuisance; after a second, the motion passed unanimously. The action was recorded as resolution 2637. Council directions and staff comments indicate the city will task public works to evaluate and, if necessary, remove the hazardous tree and proceed with cleanup and enforcement processes to bring the lot into compliance.
The council did not specify a firm contractor timeline at the meeting; staff said they would return to standard enforcement steps and coordinate with neighbors as removal proceeds. The public hearing and vote followed extensive public comment from multiple neighbors and written letters presented to the council.
Next steps: staff will inspect the site, schedule removal work as appropriate, and pursue administrative remedies against the property owner to recover costs if the city performs the cleanup.

