Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Transportation Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Cottonwood Heights weighs federal SS4A grant to fund citywide safety action plan
Summary
Council discussed Resolution 2026-18 to accept a federal Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) award and convert a corridor demonstration into a citywide safety action plan; staff said the grant is reimbursable and the city could owe up to about $100,000 depending on how much of the $500,000 program is used.
Get email alerts on the Transportation Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Cottonwood Heights council members spent the bulk of their April 7 meeting considering Resolution 2026-18, which would approve a grant agreement with the U.S. Department of Transportation for a Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) project and allow the city to proceed with a citywide safety action plan.
Staff described the award as originating from an earlier corridor-specific application that had been delayed. The presenter explained that federal officials agreed to let Cottonwood Heights expand the work from a single corridor to a citywide safety action plan, allowing the city to prioritize safety improvements across intersections and corridors. The federal award amount was discussed in the packet as $400,000 and was later described in the meeting as part of a $500,000 program. Staff said the grant is reimbursable and that the city’s local share would be a percentage of what it actually spends — up to roughly $100,000 if the full program is used, but possibly less if the city limits expenditures.
Council members pressed staff on timing and budgeting. Staff emphasized that reimbursements will be submitted to federal reviewers and that a final publicly available report is planned by Sept. 30, 2027; the SS4A timeline means spending triggers the federal clock on deliverables. Council members raised concerns about whether the city has capital budget flexibility this fiscal year or whether the work would be carried forward into the next budget season. Staff told the council the city can sign the agreement to preserve the option without immediately committing full local funds: signing gives the city the option to proceed; spending is what creates an obligation to provide the local match.
Council members also asked whether state-owned routes would be covered. Staff said state routes cannot be redesigned by the city, but intersections on those corridors can be studied and recommended treatments can be included in the safety action plan.
The packet identifies the item as Resolution 2026-18 approving and ratifying a grant agreement with the U.S. Department of Transportation (SS4A). The transcript records discussion and clarification but does not record a final vote during the segments provided.
The city manager and public works staff said they will return with details about budget placement, timing and the scope of the consultant request-for-proposals before the council commits to any spending.

