Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Economic Development topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Los Altos council presses Chamber to finish paid magazine, declines immediate funding for Super Bowl weekend plan

Los Altos City Council · October 28, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After the Chamber of Commerce proposed redirecting spring magazine funds toward a Super Bowl–weekend community event, council members urged the chamber to complete the already paid magazine and said any new event funding should return with clear budgets, membership backing and realistic timelines.

The Los Altos City Council pushed the Los Altos Chamber of Commerce to complete a previously paid but undelivered spring magazine and declined to approve immediate city funding for a proposed Super Bowl–weekend event without a more concrete plan and clearer business support.

Kim Mosley, chief executive of the Los Altos Chamber of Commerce, presented a concept called “Legends in Los Altos” for Feb. 6–8 (the weekend surrounding the Super Bowl), proposing family‑friendly programming, music, local 'legends' appearances, walking tours, a trolley loop and an optional drone light show. Mosley presented preliminary budget estimates that included a not‑final total of roughly $105,000 if the drone show were included and suggested sponsorships could offset some costs.

Council members repeatedly emphasized the original agenda purpose: to resolve compliance and deliverables under the chamber contract. Staff said the magazine is being completed and printed; council members said the city already paid funds for a deliverable that had not been provided in the prior fiscal year and asked staff to amend the contract to reflect the late printing schedule if needed.

Council Member Lang said the Super Bowl proposal was "not a serious proposal" given the short timeline and questioned whether spending taxpayer funds on a large event would deliver a sensible return. Several council members raised concerns about the Chamber’s recent event cancellations and delivery timeliness, referencing the cancelled Taste of Los Altos and the delayed magazine as evidence that additional city funds should be withheld until the chamber demonstrates capacity and clearer membership support.

While several members said they would be open to a scaled‑down event or to reviewing a well‑scoped proposal for the FIFA World Cup in July, the council coalesced around guidance to staff and the chamber: (1) ensure the previously funded magazine is completed and delivered to satisfy the existing contract; (2) bring any request to repurpose funds or request new funding back to the council with firm budgets, sponsorship commitments and clear demonstration of business‑community backing; and (3) consider future events on a case‑by‑case basis rather than approving a contractwide repurposing at this meeting.

Council did not approve any new funding or amend the contract at the meeting. Staff indicated the contract contains termination and amendment authorities and that any formal contract modifications would be returned to council for review of Exhibit A (scope/fees) as needed.