Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Flood Recovery topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Doña Ana County details flood recovery: more than 600 damage reports, $4M in household aid and $11M in public infrastructure damage identified

Doña Ana County Board of County Commissioners · March 4, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Vice Chair Gloria Gomez described the county's response to July flooding—more than 600 damage reports, $4M distributed to households via FEMA and county programs, $125,000 in local assistance, and $11M identified in public infrastructure damage—while officials outlined continued county water investments after ending a joint powers agreement with the regional utility authority.

Vice Chair Gloria Gomez described the county's response to severe July flooding and detailed recovery efforts and ongoing water infrastructure work.

"In July we were hit with some severe flooding ... there were more than 600 damage reports documented countywide," Gomez said, noting coordinated activation of the office of emergency management and county partner agencies including fire, sheriff's office, flood commission and public works. She said the American Red Cross established evacuation centers, the local school district helped with transportation and the county opened a disaster recovery center to connect residents with housing and financial assistance.

Gomez reported more than $4 million had been distributed to households through FEMA and county programs, and Doña Ana County distributed $125,000 in local assistance funds in partnership with the community foundation and United Way. She said roughly $11 million in public infrastructure damage has been identified and that FEMA funding is being pursued to repair roads and drainage systems.

County leaders also said the county formally ended its joint powers agreement with the Camino Rial Regional Utility Authority in 2025 but emphasized the county has continued to invest in water projects, including building a new water tower and evaluating desalination as a potential long‑term solution for reliability. "Ending the agreement did not mean that the county walked away," Vice Chair Gomez said. "We have continued investing in water infrastructure to support the stability in the region."

Officials said longer‑term watershed management solutions are being pursued to reduce flooding risk, and noted the county has secured more than $19 million in new funding to continue flood control solutions for affected communities.

Next steps include continued FEMA coordination for infrastructure repairs, continued local assistance to affected households and planning for larger watershed and water‑security projects.