Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Reentry Facility Banksville topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Banksville residents urge council to block proposed re-entry facility at FOP building

Pittsburgh City Council · March 3, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Banksville residents told council they oppose a proposed conditional-use sale of the FOP building at 1070 Banksville Avenue for use as a residential re-entry facility, citing proximity to schools, safety and zoning concerns and noting delays in the planning commission schedule.

Deborah Wy, a long-term Banksville resident, told Pittsburgh City Council on March 3 that neighborhood residents oppose the contingent sale of the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) building at 1070 Banksville Avenue to a re-entry operator for use as a residential re-entry facility that speakers said could house up to 100 people.

Wy said residents are concerned about zoning compatibility, public safety, transportation and transparency, noting that the facility is near an elementary school, a child‑care center and other community services. She told council the planning commission hearing had been delayed twice and that residents expect the council to ‘‘vote with the neighborhood’s interests’’ if the matter comes before them.

Wy also referenced news reporting about incidents at similar facilities elsewhere, saying some facilities have been linked in media accounts to escapes and violent incidents; she cited a Channel 4 News report during her remarks. She asked council to consider neighborhood impacts and oversight if the sale and conditional-use request advance.

Why it matters: Conditional‑use and zoning changes for residential re-entry facilities intersect with public-safety, land‑use and neighborhood livability considerations, particularly when such proposals are near schools and childcare centers.

Council next steps: The planning commission hearing on the proposal has been delayed; if the application is rescheduled and reaches the council, the council will consider any recommendations or appeals that come from the planning process.

Claims and responses: Wy said residents ‘‘overwhelmingly oppose’’ the proposed use and referenced local news coverage of incidents at other operators’ sites; no city official provided a response during public comment. Details on the operator and formal application status were described as pending and the planning commission date was not specified in the comments.