Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Infrastructure Streetlighting topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council moves forward on $125 million street‑lighting assessment after BSL warns of outages and liabilities

Los Angeles City Council · March 4, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After a detailed Bureau of Street Lighting presentation on staffing losses, theft-driven outages and multimillion-dollar liability payouts, the Council voted to advance a proposed $125 million assessment to address maintenance, hardening and lifecycle replacement of lights and poles.

The Los Angeles City Council on March 4 voted to move forward on a proposed assessment intended to fund street-lighting repairs, anti-theft measures and lifecycle replacements for the city’s aging lighting fleet.

At a special-call hearing, Miguel, general manager of the Bureau of Street Lighting, told the Council the bureau operates with roughly 315 authorized positions — a headcount that officials said is diminished from earlier levels — and is coping with tens of thousands of outstanding service requests. Miguel said about 56,000 service requests were recorded in the most recent period and that approximately 19,000 were related to theft or vandalism. He also cited a recent liability payout in the millions tied to failing fixtures.

"I intend to present to Council a $125 million assessment," Miguel said, breaking the proposed package into categories during the presentation: roughly $51 million for additional maintenance staffing and repairs, $18 million for system protection (including conversion of vulnerable poles to solar where feasible), and $26 million for lifecycle replacement of LED fixtures, conduit and poles. Councilmembers asked for details on timing, dispatch and targeted outcomes.

BSL staff described a list of mitigation actions already in use — such as fortification of vulnerable poles, deploying solar standalone lights where theft risk is high, and installing smart nodes on fixtures to provide remote status — but said those measures require larger, sustained funding to scale across the city.

Councilmember E. Hernandez, who called the presentation, pressed staff on response times, yard capacity, personnel needs and the liability risks of deferred maintenance. Miguel and staff said the bureau would return with an updated engineers report for Council consideration and highlighted two calendar deadlines tied to ballot timing: an internal March 24 cutoff to proceed and an April 17 deadline for mail-out in order to meet a 45-day timeline for an election process if Council decides to place an assessment on the ballot.

The Council voted; the clerk recorded 13 ayes. BSL leaders said a new assessment would reduce average repair times from the current one-year benchmark to goals of one week for minor issues and one month for major problems, while funding fortification and a mandatory three-year third-party audit of the bureau’s operations.

Councilmembers and staff emphasized that the assessment process would include an engineers report and public oversight, and that discretionary funds previously used to augment repairs would be folded into a citywide plan if voters approve the assessment.