Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Property Disposition topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Commission approves sale of two vacant city lots, tables Court Street parcel for review
Summary
The commission authorized the sale of two vacant city lots to Charles Thomas for $500 each and tabled a third lot (213 Court Street) after debate about whether the $500 price undervalues city property given foreclosure and demolition costs.
Get email alerts on the Property Disposition topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Mount Clemens commissioners on Aug. 20 approved selling two adjacent vacant city-owned lots on North Walnut to Charles Thomas for $500 each and voted to table a proposed sale of a third lot at 213 Court Street to allow further review of price and prior city investments.
City administration recommended sale of three parcels to Mr. Charles Thomas, who was listed as residing at 57 Canfield Drive. Staff said 213 Court Street was purchased in 2023 via tax foreclosure and that the residential structure had been demolished; other parcels had been city-owned for several years. Commissioners questioned why the proposed price was $500 per lot when purchase and demolition costs appeared significantly higher, noting concerns that the city could be foregoing substantial value and tax revenue. Staff said the $300–$500 range had been typical in recent local lot sales and that few city-owned lots remain to market.
One commissioner moved to table the Court Street lot while approving the two Walnut Street parcels; after a second and discussion the amended motion passed on roll call. Commissioners requested staff to provide foreclosure purchase price, demolition costs and current assessed or market values for the tabled parcel before the commission takes further action.
The motion passed with the commission approving two lots for sale and tabling the Court Street parcel for follow-up.

