Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Comment topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Resident tells council cars and landscaping trucks regularly block her driveway; borough staff say no action required
Summary
Rebecca Coniglio told the council that vehicles and large trucks repeatedly block her driveway on Marin Avenue, presenting safety and access issues; she asked for immediate 'no stopping/no parking' signage. Borough staff said prior evaluations found signage "not necessary," and the council agreed to send written confirmation of that determination to the resident.
Get email alerts on the Public Comment topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
At the public-comment portion of the Jan. 7 New Providence Borough Council meeting, resident Rebecca Coniglio described a years-long pattern of parked and stopped vehicles blocking access to her driveway on Marin Avenue and requested that the borough install a no-stopping/no-parking sign behind her driveway.
"I have repeatedly and for years documented that the road is too narrow and the vehicles are too large to allow us to safely access our own property on a consistent basis," Coniglio said, adding that she had police reports, videos and photographs. She told the council the situation recently caused a panic attack and delayed emergency responders; she asked the borough to start the procedure to post signage to prevent future blockages.
Borough staff and a council attorney (Paul) responded that the matter had been previously evaluated and that the borough had determined signage was "not necessary." At one point Paul stated, "the determination has been made it's not necessary and no action is being taken." Council members discussed sending written confirmation of the staff position to Coniglio; a council member suggested following up with correspondence to reiterate what was said at the meeting.
Coniglio said she has a signed petition from neighbors describing similar access problems and that repeated idling, excessive noise and harassment have occurred at the location. The council did not adopt a new traffic-control measure at the meeting and did not vote to post signs during the public comment period.
What happens next: Council staff agreed to send correspondence to Coniglio summarizing tonight's discussion and the borough's determination; residents who submitted evidence were told they may pursue other remedies outside the council process if they wish.

