Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Historic Preservation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council funds finish of citywide historic survey, pauses formal adoption after owner objections

City Council of the City of San Buenaventura · February 3, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council authorized a $52,312 contract amendment with Historic Resources Group to complete a citywide historic context statement and survey but continued final adoption to April 28 to allow extra outreach after many property owners raised notice, cost and potential housing impacts; council also placed parcel 10452 into an ineligible status in the draft (vote 5–2).

City planners and consultants presented the final package of a multi‑year, two‑phase citywide historic context statement and intensive survey on Feb. 3. The survey assessed properties built up to 1979 and identified roughly 428 individual properties and seven potential historic districts that staff deemed “potentially eligible” for further historic review. Staff said the survey’s primary operational benefit is to screen out about 99% of properties from routine historic review, speeding permitting for most homeowners and flagging a small share that may require design review or special study.

The presentation, led by Community Development Director Rachel Diamond and Principal Planner Jared Rosenrren with Historic Resources Group consultant Carrie Fowler, covered methodology, public input and the range of follow‑up options available to property owners — including changing eligibility codes, re‑evaluation, and owner‑initiated phase‑one/phase‑two studies. Staff emphasized that the survey itself does not designate landmarks; designation remains a separate, future public process requiring owner notice and council action.

The public hearing drew lengthy testimony. Dozens of property owners and community groups spoke: some preservation advocates supported adoption to provide certainty and to protect notable resources; many homeowners and institutional owners (school district, some religious properties and the port/yacht club) objected to inclusion without clearer outreach and said identification could impose delays or costs for routine repairs. Several speakers said notice about being on the list had been missed, or arrived only days before the meeting.

After extended discussion about survey codes, owner objections and outreach, council voted to approve an amendment to the historic consultant agreement with Historic Resources Group (increasing the not‑to‑exceed to $231,118) so staff could finish remaining work. Council also directed additional outreach and continued final adoption of the survey to a date‑certain, April 28, to allow certified mail notice and time for owners to submit supplemental information. Separately, the council placed parcel 10452 in the survey as code 6Z (ineligible) for the draft package by a 5–2 vote.

Staff said the survey will reduce per‑project consultant costs for routine permitting and will allow staff to fast‑track many permits that do not affect potential historic resources. Staff also said owners may still challenge potential eligibility with new data; the survey is a “living” document that can be amended with new information or re‑evaluation before any landmark designation occurs.