Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Bettis Addition Extension topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council grants one‑year extension for Bettis Addition subdivision after appeal, with firm conditions

Hayden City Council · May 13, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After an appeal from the developer and lengthy questioning over inspections and code compliance, Hayden City Council granted a conditional one‑year extension for the Bettis Addition minor subdivision; the applicant must resubmit construction plans within 45 days and finish required improvements within one year of plan reapproval.

Hayden — The Hayden City Council on May 12 granted a one‑year extension for the Bettis Addition minor subdivision, overturning staff’s earlier determination that the preliminary plat had expired.

Engineer Bart North (speaker 8) and builder Nathan Ferguson (speaker 12) told council the project is substantially underway — sewer services were installed and inspected by the state plumbing authority, and water mains and laterals have been extended onto the property. They said delays followed a 2024 medical emergency for the owner and a breakdown in communication that prevented timely fee payment for a final plat submittal.

City planner Dulce (speaker 15) explained staff’s position: the subdivision had been administratively determined to have expired after a period of inactivity, some constructed infrastructure has not been fully inspected or accepted, and letters from the city requested either abandonment plans or proof of completion. Staff presented two options for council: deny the appeal, leaving the applicant to reapply; or grant a one‑year conditional extension requiring resubmission of construction plans for staff review and approval.

Council expressed competing concerns: sympathy for the applicant’s health‑related delay, and the need to uphold established deadlines and protect the public interest where infrastructure ties into city systems. Several council members emphasized that any extension should not set a precedent for routinely excusing missed deadlines.

The council approved the option to grant a one‑year extension conditional on the applicant resubmitting construction plans for staff review and approval within 45 days and completing the identified construction within one year from plan reapproval. If conditions are not met, the matter will revert to staff determination and the applicant could be required to reapply.

Why it matters: Granting the extension preserves substantial private investment (the applicants said they had spent about $200,000 and estimated another $100,000 to finish) and allows the project to proceed while requiring staff review to ensure compliance with current city codes. Council balanced enforcement of timelines with the practical reality of partially completed infrastructure and acknowledged the city’s bond options if abandonment is necessary.

What’s next: Applicant must resubmit construction plans within 45 days; staff will review them against current codes. The council’s motion requires completion of construction within one year of plan reapproval.

Quotes: “We have put in $200,000 already. We have another 100, to be able to finish,” said Nathan Ferguson, outlining financial stakes. Dulce said staff had identified partially constructed infrastructure that may not meet current city standards and emphasized that the city could require abandonment or use the project bond to complete or cap tie‑ins.