Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Athletics topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Parents press board for answers after high school football coach resigns; superintendent promises to respond
Summary
Several parents told the board their sons have been distressed after the football coach resigned and said district athletics staff had not answered inquiries; Superintendent Caputo confirmed the resignation and asked parents to forward emails so the administration could respond promptly.
Get email alerts on the Athletics topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
During public comment at the start of the May 12 meeting, multiple parents described confusion and distress around the high school football program after the head coach resigned. Speakers named themselves and their addresses for the record and said attempts to reach district athletics staff (identified in the comments as Mr. Cathcart) had gone unanswered.
One parent said the situation had left players "coming home in tears." The board president asked Superintendent Caputo to respond; Caputo confirmed that Coach Lightner had resigned and said the district was actively seeking a new head coach and would follow up. He told parents: "If you just send those emails to me, I'll get you an answer tomorrow." The board encouraged parents to forward contact attempts to the superintendent so the administration could respond directly.
Parents also raised concerns about the timeline for posting a head-coach opening and alleged prior hiring decisions had been influenced by nepotism; the superintendent did not corroborate those claims in his remarks and committed instead to ensuring candidates and interested applicants receive follow-up.

