Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Art topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Design council approves RFQ for integrated public art on East Douglas, sets $419,500 artist budget

Wichita City Design Council · April 6, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Wichita City design council approved a nationwide RFQ to select an artist for integrated public art along East Douglas tied to a street‑reduction pilot; the RFQ sets an artist budget of $419,500 and a selection timeline through late May.

The Wichita City Design Council voted to approve a nationwide request for qualifications (RFQ) to commission integrated public art along East Douglas Avenue, a project coordinated with a pilot street‑reconfiguration that will temporarily reduce vehicle lanes to test traffic impacts.

Brent Chestnut of Bman Company, the consultant on the project, told the council the RFQ would seek a single artist or artist team and carry an artist budget of $419,500. "We're going to do a pilot study here in the next 6 months and then go into the design," Chestnut said, describing proposed corridor features including turn lanes, bulb‑outs, bike lanes and a dedicated bus lane.

Staff and consultants said the RFQ will be issued at the end of the week, with submissions due around May 4, interviews on May 18 and an award notification expected May 27. Councilmembers asked whether the RFQ would be open nationally; staff confirmed it will be a nationwide call. Members also recommended adding contextual materials—neighborhood photos, links to past studies and a short character statement—to the RFQ package so applicants can better judge whether their work fits the corridor.

Jeff (staff) noted that City Council previously approved the lane‑reduction concept in December and said the city anticipates implementing the pilot marking plan July 1 and keeping it in place through the end of the year while data are collected that will inform a permanent lane configuration.

After discussion and a call for public comment, the council approved the RFQ by voice vote.

Next steps: staff will publish the RFQ, incorporate additional context for applicants and return the selected artist and final proposal to the design council when selection is complete.