Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Tax Relief Policy topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Manassas Park opens hearing on raising net-worth limit for homeowner tax relief
Summary
The city opened a public hearing on an ordinance to raise the net combined financial worth threshold for real-estate tax relief from $175,000 to $200,000 (excluding the primary residence), to take effect July 1, 2026; council asked staff to monitor impacts and return with data before final action.
Get email alerts on the Tax Relief Policy topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Manassas Park City Council on April 7 opened a public hearing on a proposed amendment to Chapter 22 of the city code that would increase the net combined financial worth cap used to qualify homeowners for real-estate tax relief from $175,000 to $200,000, excluding the value of the homeowner's primary residence. Commissioner of Revenue Commissioner Pullman presented the ordinance and said the change is intended to "account for inflation, thereby maintaining fair access to tax relief and preserving the program's original purpose." The proposed change would take effect July 1, 2026.
Council members asked several practical questions about the program's administration and fiscal impacts. Pullman confirmed the value of the home a person lives in is excluded when calculating net worth and said other jurisdictions apply the same rule. He reported he has approved about 30 applications so far and has a small number of applicants who currently fall just above the $175,000 cap (examples of applicants at $178,000 and $183,000 were cited). Pullman said he has limited historical data on how previous threshold changes affected eligibility and recommended monitoring the coming application cycle; staff would report back and the ordinance could be revisited annually or bianually.
No members of the public spoke during the hearing. The council moved and seconded a motion to close the public hearing; the body closed the hearing and indicated the matter will be scheduled for formal consideration at a future meeting (staff noted it is likely to appear on the April 21 consent agenda for vote). The council emphasized the need to track how many applicants are turned away or newly qualify after the threshold change and to quantify any budgetary revenue impacts before final adoption.
The ordinance text presented to the council explicitly states the net worth calculation excludes the home and sets the new threshold at $200,000; other eligibility criteria (age 65 or older or permanently disabled, income limits, and excluded/ included asset classes such as retirement accounts, life insurance, stock and CDs) were summarized by staff during the presentation. No formal vote on the ordinance was taken on April 7.
The council will consider the ordinance at a later meeting after staff returns with impact data and recommended effective dates and any needed budgetary adjustments.

