Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Affordable Housing topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Iowa City council directs staff to proceed with original Summit Street unit mix amid debate over costs and who the housing will serve

Iowa City Council · May 20, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After a lengthy work-session discussion on May 19, the council gave staff direction to proceed with the original unit mix (the staff-recommended Option 1) for a 36-unit affordable housing project on North Summit Street, citing concerns about increased construction costs, long-term viability and HUD funding constraints.

Iowa City councilors on May 19 directed staff to proceed with the original unit mix for the North Summit Street affordable housing project, choosing staff-recommended Option 1 after a 90-minute discussion about construction costs, unit counts and who is most likely to occupy the apartments.

"We presented this as 36 units," Tracy Haishu, Neighborhood Development Services director, told the council as she reviewed the project's funding and timeline. Haishu said the city used ARPA funds to acquire the site and applied for Pro Housing federal funds; the city has presented 36 units to HUD and the housing trust fund, and design work needs to proceed so the project can meet funding deadlines.

Rachel Carter of the Housing Authority described why staff favor a mix that includes many one-bedroom units: "We have a 1-bedroom voucher holder paying 82% of their income to rent right now," she said, citing local voucher-holder data and a lengthy voucher waiting list. Carter said a large share of voucher holders are elderly or disabled and currently occupy larger units because smaller units are scarce.

Baker Tilly development adviser Neil Griffin outlined the financial trade-offs: increasing two- and three-bedroom units can raise revenue on a square-foot basis, but alternate mixes also raise construction costs and weaken the project's long-term cash position. "Anytime you increase cost, it means we need to find a balance of sources for those costs," Griffin said; staff cited an estimated construction cost of about $8,000,700 for the original option and roughly $9,000,500 for the higher-cost alternative.

Council members pressed competing priorities. One council member argued the city should add general-fund subsidy to support a 12/12/12 split of bedroom types so the project could house more families; another said the city had already committed the proposal to HUD and to funders and warned that taking on an additional $800,000–$1,000,000 now could create a funding gap and risk the project's viability.

Council debate also touched on tenant selection. Councilors asked whether vouchers would dominate occupancy because HUD funding requires the project to accept voucher holders; staff said the development must accept vouchers but that applications will be open to all eligible households. The council asked whether the city could legally prioritize households "right-sizing" into smaller units; staff said they would consult the city attorney because familial status is a protected class and preferences raise fair-housing concerns.

After discussion about funding strings, project timelines and neighborhood context, a majority of council members signaled support for Option 1, and the chair directed staff to proceed with that unit mix so the architect could move forward with unit layouts and design. Staff said a neighborhood meeting is planned for mid-June, construction documents will be prepared, and the city expects to put the project out for bid in March 2027.

Next steps: staff will proceed with design based on Option 1, meet with the neighborhood in June, finalize plans and specifications, and return to council as required before bidding and any formal funding commitments.