Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Municipal Hearing Officer topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Personnel committee forwards municipal hearing officer nominee to full council amid neutrality questions

Lawrence City Personnel Committee · May 21, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Lawrence Personnel Committee voted 2–1 on May 14 to forward the nomination of attorney Christopher Buckley to the full City Council to serve as the city’s municipal hearing officer after members questioned the nominee’s office location and political signage; City Attorney Tim Hooten said an ordinance change to indemnify the officer is forthcoming.

The Lawrence Personnel Committee on May 14 voted 2–1 to send the nomination of attorney Christopher Buckley to the full City Council for consideration to serve as the city’s municipal hearing officer.

The municipal hearing officer reviews appeals of city tickets and infractions and must be an independent, non‑employee reviewer, City Attorney Tim Hooten told the committee. Hooten said the city has been without a hearing officer since the prior officer left, and that when appeals arrive within the 21‑day window the city has had to dismiss them because there was no hearing officer available to hear cases.

"All we are trying to do is get compliance," Hooten said, describing the city’s goal as corrective rather than revenue driven. He also told the committee to expect an ordinance modification from the Ordinance Committee that would provide indemnification for the hearing officer for actions taken in the officer role.

Christopher Buckley, who gave his business address as 600 Andover Street in South Lawrence, summarized a legal career beginning in 1993 and said he has practiced civil and criminal cases and appeared before tribunals and hearing officers. He said he would provide "a fair and reasonable hearing" and that he would disclose and recuse if any conflict arose.

A councilor asked how Buckley would maintain independence after reports that campaign signs associated with the mayor had been placed at or near Buckley’s office during election seasons. Buckley denied he had represented the mayor and said he would recuse if a conflict existed: "I've never represented the mayor for anything," he said.

After brief discussion the committee voted to forward the nomination. The roll call recorded Councilor Franklin Miguel and Councilor Rosalie Gonzalez voting yes and Chair Stephanie Fonte voting no, sending the nomination to full council with a 2–1 recommendation.

The full City Council will consider the nomination at its next meeting; the Ordinance Committee will also consider a related amendment to provide indemnification for the hearing officer.