Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Building Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council delays legal action on collapsed Thompson Appliance building to give owner two weeks to propose abatement
Summary
After testimony from the Thompson family about a December collapse and asbestos complications, Woodstock council agreed to defer authorizing legal action on 318 Clay Street (D11) until April 21 to allow owner and staff to coordinate demolition and asbestos abatement plans and reopening of the street and sidewalk.
Get email alerts on the Building Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Woodstock City Council on April 7 agreed unanimously to postpone consideration of legal action over the damaged Thompson Appliance building at 318 Clay Street until its April 21 meeting, after hearing public testimony from the family that owns the property.
Haley Thompson, speaking for her father, described a December 2025 snow‑related roof collapse and said asbestos in the building and freezing winter conditions delayed safe cleanup and demolition. She said the family has since begun work where safe, subsidized removal and outreach efforts are under way and asked the council to allow reasonable time to secure abatement contractors and complete safe removal.
Mayor Turner said the city is sympathetic but stressed public‑safety concerns: the damaged building has propped elements and a partially blocked sidewalk and street, creating a risk. He said the staff had had limited sustained interaction with the owner and emphasized the city’s preference to work with the owner before pursuing legal remedies. The mayor noted that the agenda item would, if approved, authorize the city manager and city attorney to take legal steps if necessary, but that the council’s preference was to allow staff and the owner a short period to agree on an abatement plan.
Bob Thompson, the owner, and other family members described barriers to immediate cleanup: cold winter temperatures made continuous wetting (recommended for some asbestos materials) impractical in January–February, the water had been disconnected, and several abatement contractors had not responded. Thompson said he had been trying to secure a licensed asbestos contractor and asked the city to provide a temporary water meter or other assistance so abatement could proceed safely in warmer weather.
Council accepted the family’s request for time and approved a motion to postpone the legal‑action item to the April 21 council meeting so staff and the owner could agree on a timeline for asbestos abatement, demolition if required, and reopening the sidewalk and street. Council asked staff to ensure clear lines of communication (Roscoe and Joe Napolitano were assigned to coordinate with the Thompsons) and to prepare contingency steps should the owner fail to make safe and timely progress.
Next steps: staff will coordinate with the Thompsons to document a remediation timeline and report back at the April 21 meeting; if the owner cannot demonstrate progress, council retains authorization to pursue legal action to remove the hazard.
