Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Events topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City staff weigh alternatives if July Fourth fireworks are barred by a burn ban
Summary
With a burn ban recently lifted but still possible, council reviewed contingency ideas for the Red, White & Belmont event — including laser shows (~$20,000 quote), drone shows (~$100,000 quote), and other family-focused events — and asked staff to keep the contracted fireworks vendor as the primary plan while seeking backup quotes and possible budget amendments.
Get email alerts on the Events topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City staff told Belmont City Council on May 18 they are preparing contingency entertainment options for the July Red, White & Belmont event in case a burn ban prohibits fireworks.
Cassie briefed the council on alternatives she and the fire department have explored: laser/light shows (one quote near $20,000), drone shows (a received quote of about $100,000, though that vendor was not available on the holiday date), flyovers and other crowd-friendly ideas. Staff confirmed the fireworks vendor used last year remains contracted as the first choice, but members asked staff to solicit quotes for budget amendment consideration in case a burn ban forces a change in plans.
“It's going to depend on the burn,” Cassie said. “If we can't shoot fireworks we want to be prepared with family-friendly alternatives.”
Council discussed whether to hold contingency funding on the June 1 consent calendar or to bring a budget amendment later if needed. Staff noted some contingency options could be procured for sums comparable to a fireworks show; others, like a large drone performance, would carry a much higher price and limited vendor availability.
No financial commitment was made at the workshop; staff was directed to continue getting quotes and to report back with cost estimates and timing constraints so the council could consider any required budget amendment before the event.
