Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Muskego council weighs repair or detour after inspection finds Muskego Dam Road culvert failing
Summary
City staff reported inspections suggest the dual culvert under Muskego Dam Road is deteriorated and likely to be rated 1 or 2 by the Wisconsin DOT; council instructed staff to monitor the site, prepare to detour the road if the final report deems it unsafe, and continue pursuing state grant funding for replacement.
Get email alerts on the Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City staff told the Muskego City Common Council on May 26 that the pair of culvert pipes beneath Muskego Dam Road are deteriorated and likely to receive a low condition rating from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation after a recent reinspection.
Scott (staff), who led the presentation, said the pipes were previously graded a 4 in a winter inspection but that a spring site visit and follow-up investigation show the lower portions of the structures are badly deteriorated. "If you look at it, the sides were kinda given away a little bit," Scott said, adding that crews poured concrete to shore up failing edges. He told the council the draft follow-up report and photographs he provided to city leadership "are not good" and that he expects the DOT rating to be a 1 or 2.
Jeff (staff) warned of legal exposure if the city leaves the road open once officials know of the hazard: "Once we know about it ... once we know about it, if something happens, we don't have immunity anymore ... we can be sued," he said, urging the council to take action either to repair now or to close and detour the road.
Council members discussed three main options: fix the culvert immediately at municipal expense, implement a temporary detour while the city pursues DOT funding through the Local Small Structure Improvement Program (LSSIP) and awaits the DOT's bidding/process timeline, or wait for DOT funding and detour only if necessary. Scott said the city's application for the DOT program was submitted on May 1 and that the program is one-time funding; his estimate submitted with the application put a full replacement at about $240,000 (including engineering and prevailing wages), with separate line-item estimates for asphalt and beam guard.
Alderman Patton and other council members emphasized the road's heavy use and the inconvenience a detour would create; others urged prudence because the DOT program is new and offers potential reimbursement. Several members suggested lowering speeds and additional signage as interim steps, while Scott cautioned that a sign alone would not eliminate risk and that temporary lane solutions would require traffic control and could be hazardous on the 45 mph, unlit stretch.
The council directed staff to finalize the inspection report and submit it to DOT, to prepare detour planning and barricade cost estimates, and to monitor the site closely; Scott said if the final report indicates imminent danger, staff will close the road immediately. The council expects an update at the next meeting.

