Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Police Incident topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Councilman Coleman urges patience as officials review video of police encounter with young driver

Newport News City Council · May 26, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Councilman Coleman, responding to a video circulating online, called for restraint and reliance on facts after a Newport News police officer’s interaction with a young driver; he thanked Chief Drew and Commonwealth’s Attorney Jones for a press briefing and urged continued transparency while emphasizing public safety and youth empowerment.

Councilman Coleman opened the council meeting by asking the public to wait for facts after a video circulated online showing an interaction between a Newport News police officer and a young driver in City Center. He said emotions are high and ‘many citizens, especially our youth, are looking for answers,’ and he urged the public not to ‘rush to judgment.’

Coleman thanked Chief Drew and Commonwealth’s Attorney Jones for holding a press conference earlier in the day and for providing ‘‘additional facts in context’’, saying that level of openness is owed to the community, youth and officers. ‘‘First, we must follow the facts of any incident before rushing to judgment,’’ he said.

Coleman framed the remarks in a broader public-safety context, describing the city’s existing 11 p.m. curfew for people under 18 as a protective measure and noting past violent incidents that shaped local ordinances. He said the responsibilities for youth safety cannot fall solely on law enforcement or city government and urged parents and guardians to play a role alongside public agencies.

Coleman closed by asking for patience while officials continue their work: ‘‘Let the facts continue to come forward, let the process work, and let us continue to support accountability and transparency by everyone involved.’’

The council did not take a formal vote related to the incident during the meeting; Coleman’s remarks were a call for restraint and continued transparency while investigatory steps proceed.