Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Utilities topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Resident says city removed water tap after condemnation; clerk cites ordinance requiring new tap

City of Du Quoin Board of Commissioners · October 16, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A Du Quoin resident told commissioners he paid for a water tap years ago but the city disconnected it after condemnation and is now charging to reconnect; city staff said ordinance requires a new tap after condemnation and agreed to follow up.

A Du Quoin resident who identified his address as 601 South Jefferson Street told the Board of Commissioners he completed extensive repairs to a condemned rental property but remains without water because the city disconnected the tap following an earlier condemnation.

"I did everything to it, and the city just keeps saying, no," the resident said, describing new sewer lines, a new roof, new water lines and electrical work. He said he had paid previously for a tap (he cited paying in 1995) and later paid an inspector who could not inspect because there was no water.

The clerk responded that by city ordinance, when a house is condemned the water tap is removed and a new tap must be paid for when the property is taken off condemnation or rebuilt. "Once a house is condemned, the tap is removed, and you have to get a new tap when you come off condemnation or you build a new home," the clerk said. The clerk also noted the condemnation in this case dated to about 2011–2012 and that there are records and communications between the owner (or his attorney) and the city attorney.

The resident said he had engaged an attorney previously and that lifting the condemnation had cost him money. He asked the council to reconnect the water without charging him again; city staff said reconnection after condemnation typically requires a new paid tap and that staff would check records and follow up. Mayor Josh Downs and other commissioners encouraged the resident to provide attorney contact information to staff (Caitlin) so the city can review the case.

No final decision about the tap fee or reconnection was recorded at the meeting; staff agreed to gather additional documentation and follow up with the resident.