Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Housing topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Neighbors and doctor urge condemnation of troubled 7272 Burbank Drive property; owner seeks months to renovate
Summary
Neighbors and a nearby physician urged the Metropolitan Council to condemn a long-troubled 24-unit building at 7272 Burbank Drive, citing repeated SWAT incidents, disrepair and safety risks to patients and businesses; the property owner and investor said half the units were renovated and requested 60–90 days to complete financing and repairs.
Get email alerts on the Housing topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Byron Jasper, a physician who owns a practice adjacent to 7272 Burbank Drive, told the Metropolitan Council the 24-unit property (item 60 on the agenda) has “been a problem for almost 10 years,” describing toilets that don’t work, trash blocking entrances and repeated law-enforcement standoffs. “This property stays in bad condition,” Jasper said, urging condemnation so something safer can replace the building next to his clinic.
Two patients of Jasper’s — George Becknell and Brandon Weber — corroborated safety concerns and said they feared for themselves and children who visit the area. Becknell said he had viewed multiple incidents on security cameras and called the property an “eyesore” and a danger to patients. Weber said the building “provides a disservice” to residents and asked the council to pursue an equitable solution that may include condemnation.
Brent Honor, who identified himself as owner of BRH Consultants and owner of 12 renovated units on the site, described earlier investment and appraisal history and said 12 units had been renovated to like-new condition. He said he had a purchase agreement for all 24 units and asked the council for a 60–90 day extension to obtain permits and finish renovations rather than allow condemnation.
Investor Bernell Davis (Affordable Housing Investment Group) said financing was nearly complete before the condemnation notice and that his plan targeted higher-income tenants; he opposed immediate condemnation and requested time to secure funds and renovate.
The council read Department of Public Works recommendations and moved to proceed with the listed condemnation introductions while applying specified deferrals: proceed with items 52, 53, 55, 56 and 60; 30-day deferrals for items 58 and 59; 60 days for items 54 and 57; and defer item 61 to Aug. 12. A motion to implement DPW’s recommendations was made and carried.
Why it matters: The dispute highlights a common local-government challenge balancing public-safety concerns and property rights. Neighbors and health-care providers stressed immediate threats to safety and patient access; owners argued renovation and refinancing plans could remedy conditions if given time.
What’s next: Council actions recorded the DPW recommendation to proceed on item 60 while applying the motion’s schedule for deferrals; no detailed timetable for final condemnation or renovation milestones was recorded in the hearing.
Sources: Public testimony recorded at the East Baton Rouge Parish Metropolitan Council meeting on May 27, 2026. Quotes are from meeting speakers Byron Jasper, George Becknell, Brandon Weber, Brent Honor and Bernell Davis.

