Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Parks And Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Commission awards South Miami Park soccer contract amid debate over access and $6M+ in park improvements
Summary
The commission approved a multi‑year contract awarding operation of the youth and teen soccer program at South Miami Park after a lengthy debate over capital spending, limited vendor responses, and whether the concession model restricts public access; the item passed on roll call 4‑0.
Get email alerts on the Parks And Recreation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
After extended discussion on June 4, the City Commission awarded a multi‑year contract to operate and manage the City of South Miami youth and teen soccer program and use of the soccer fields at South Miami Park.
Staff outlined the contract terms and hours: the concessionaire will operate a soccer‑first program with use rights in the evenings and weekend prime times (weekday evening windows and substantial weekend blocks), summer camp access was included and staff retained audit rights to examine concessionaire records. The parks director told commissioners the vendor would have access year‑round for specified hours and that Sundays and some summer daytime hours would remain available for broader public use.
Commission debate focused on the city’s capital investment at the park — staff and commissioners cited recent and planned spending for new lights, turf fields, a concession building and restrooms, pavilions and related improvements totaling multiple millions of dollars across the board. Some commissioners questioned whether allocating large public capital to a park with a single large concessionaire effectively privatizes access, and raised concerns about limited public field availability during key hours. Commissioner Liebman said the city’s cumulative investment approached multiple millions and worried residents would see the site as “a private park.” The parks director and city manager countered that the facility previously operated in poor conditions, that the concessionaire supports a program serving hundreds of children (staff capped the program previously at almost 900 participants), and that the contract contains resident discounts and audit rights.
Staff provided comparative revenue examples from nearby jurisdictions (Village of Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Key Biscayne) to explain typical concession splits and market expectations. The parks director said the city built the procurement around a “soccer‑first” model because the city supports a large established program and because delivering a high‑quality, year‑round turf and lighting product requires operational scale.
After the exchange the commission approved the contract on a roll call vote (4‑0). Commissioners asked staff to continue exploring ways to layer additional uses (flag football, summer camps, possible pickle/paddle sites on other parts of the park) and to protect resident access and transparency through the contract’s audit provisions.
Why it matters: the vote enables the city to move forward with the newly improved facility and an operator for the program the city expects to host, but the approval also raises longer‑term questions about how capital investments are allocated and how public access is protected in concession agreements.
