Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council approves $30,363 to repair detention-center cameras after repeated failures
Summary
The council approved a $30,363.90 general-fund allocation to repair detention-center cameras that have gone offline after apparent lightning strikes; staff said the amount would restore the systems while a longer-term replacement plan is considered.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Pickens County council voted Oct. 20 to approve $30,363.90 from the general fund to repair the detention-center's camera system after staff reported repeated lightning strikes and cameras going offline.
The presenter described recent failures and said the county received a quote from a recurring vendor to bring cameras back online; the presenter said some cameras had been failing gradually and the sheriff's team asked for funding to restore monitoring for staff and inmate safety.
"They've had cameras that are slowly going offline, not to be unexpected," the Presenter said when describing the problem. Staff told council the allocation would pay to bring the reported 18–19 out-of-service cameras back to working order; one speaker later described the system as about 19 units out of service.
Council approved the request by raised hands; the transcript records a show-of-hands vote without a recorded roll-call tally. Staff and the presenter said the item would be included in the budget amendment process for the year.
What happens next: staff will issue the purchase order and coordinate repairs with the vendor; a longer-term review of system reliability and service agreements will be considered during budget deliberations.

