Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Telecommunications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents press health, property and wildlife concerns at Montebello Homeland Towers hearing; board continues the matter to Dec. 17
Summary
At a public hearing on Oct. 22, dozens of Montebello residents raised health, property-value and wildlife concerns about a proposed Homeland Towers monopine at 350 Haverstraw Road; the applicant said emissions would be under 7% of FCC limits and emergency services could collocate for free; the board continued the hearing to Dec. 17, 2025.
Get email alerts on the Telecommunications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Board of Trustees on Oct. 22 opened a public hearing on Homeland Towers LLC’s application to lease a portion of the Dr. Jeffrey Oppenheim Community Center grounds and install a 100- or 110-foot monopine tower for carrier collocation and village emergency communications. After a presentation by the applicant, residents raised a series of concerns about notice, health effects, property values, wildlife and site selection, and the board agreed to continue the hearing to Dec. 17, 2025.
Attorney Robert Gaudioso, representing Homeland Towers, and Klaus Wimmer, the company’s regional manager, described the proposed compound, visual renderings, SEQRA materials, RF/EMF studies and alternative site analysis. Gaudioso said Verizon and T‑Mobile had expressed interest and that homeland infrastructure prefers municipal locations when available. He told the board that, at maximum capacity, emissions from the proposed facility would be under 7% of FCC-established limits and that emergency services could use the tower at no cost.
Many residents spoke during the hearing. Caroline Krafcheck of 314 Haverstraw Road said she received short notice and asked, “Why was this site chosen over any others that may not be in a residential area?” She also expressed concern that the tower would lower her home’s sale price and asked whether FCC compliance had been independently verified. Joshua Rose said he has lived in Montebello his whole life and questioned whether there is any meaningful long-term study of towers’ health impacts. Several speakers—Richard Van Inwegen, Brian Demuro and others—urged the board to consider using existing towers on Hemion Road or other nonresidential locations.
Gaudioso replied to residents’ technical and procedural questions, said written responses to some questions would be provided and reiterated that reports commissioned for the project show no diminution in property values and no exceedance of FCC limits. He also said the tower does not produce the buzzing noise associated with high-tension power lines and that any noise would be limited to equipment fans or an emergency generator. Village Attorney Warren E. Berbit, drawing on his technical background, explained the inverse-square law—saying a phone held to one’s head typically produces higher localized exposure than a distant tower—and noted that legal challenges based solely on fear of health effects or property devaluation may not be sustained, though the Village retains discretion to approve or deny the application on municipal property.
Deputy Mayor Stacy Caridi asked whether the tower would improve her in-home service; Gaudioso said a stronger signal would help. Trustee Michael Humphrey asked whether Homeland had consulted with 911 or local emergency-service providers; Gaudioso asked the board to put him in contact with those providers. Residents also asked for another hearing, additional documentation and independent FCC or epidemiological reviews.
The board did not vote on the application. After testimony and discussion, the trustees moved and unanimously approved a motion to continue the public hearing to Dec. 17, 2025 so the public, applicants and board can review further materials and submit additional questions.
