Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Right Of Way Abandonment topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Applicant seeks abandonment of 33-foot right-of-way on Sanroy Road; committee continues case to July 1

Walton County Technical Review Committee · June 3, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

An applicant asked Walton County to abandon a 33-foot unused right-of-way on Sanroy Road affecting seven parcels; neighbors supported the request while engineering raised circulation concerns. A motion to deny died for lack of second and the applicant requested a continuance; the committee continued the item to the July 1 meeting.

Mark Douglas requested that Walton County advance an abandonment application to remove a 33-foot unused right-of-way along the north side of Sanroy Road, saying the corridor is not continuous, has long-standing private improvements and does not serve public access. Douglas told the Technical Review Committee the request does not change zoning, increase density, close a road or interfere with utilities; he said potential utility impacts would be handled by easements with regional providers.

Planning staff said engineering initially did not support the abandonment and noted pending reviews from environmental and other reviewers; regional utilities later confirmed the applicant had addressed their concerns. Neighbors — including Ken Menchu, who identified himself as an adjacent parcel owner — urged the committee to allow the abandonment, saying the neighborhood is low‑impact and the corridor dead-ends into a lake.

Engineering and other staff raised circulation and parking concerns tied to public beach access; committee members noted that the county has previously proposed improvements in the area that residents opposed. At a voting stage, a motion to deny was made but failed for lack of a second; a separate motion to approve similarly died for lack of a second. The applicant then requested a continuance to present additional evidence. The committee approved a motion to continue the application to the July 1 Technical Review Committee meeting.

The county will take up the application again on July 1, when the applicant may offer additional materials to address the engineering concerns and the committee will reconsider the record.