Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents press Altoona council for action after ‘‘fight nights’’ at Isolina Park; police say arrests pending

Altoona City Council · June 4, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents told council that Isolina Park has seen repeated fighting, vandalism and drug activity and asked for cameras, lighting, patrols and possible closure; Police Chief Derek Swope said detectives executed search warrants, found video evidence and have juvenile allegations and arrests pending.

Residents of the neighborhood around Isolina Park told Altoona City Council on June 8 they want immediate action after repeated violent and disruptive incidents at the park.

"They have fight club every Saturday night," resident Mary Anne Huey told the council, urging the city to install security cameras, increase police patrols, improve lighting, limit hours or close the park if the problems persist. Huey said neighbors have photos and videos documenting fights, vandalism, fires set to park features and threats against residents.

Cassie Faust, who said she grew up nearby and teaches locally, told the council two arrests so far have not solved the problem and warned residents would "elevate to the next level, which will include higher elected officials, all new media outlets," if the city does not act.

Police Chief Derek Swope acknowledged the problem and described measures under way. He said his directive has been zero tolerance for reportable crimes and that daily checks of the park have increased. "We have had several arrests since March," he said, and he described a larger May 29 incident that is under investigation.

Swope said detectives executed search warrants on residences and digital devices, recovered videos showing fights (some appearing to have been recorded at the park), and prepared juvenile allegations. He said the age of some participants has been "pretty shocking," and mentioned participants as young as 12 or 13. "Arrests are imminent from the May 29 incident," Swope said.

Council members said they heard residents’ concerns and outlined next steps. One council member suggested deploying trail cameras to collect evidence; another, who serves on the Park & Rec board, said the board will work with the police to increase patrols. Resident Anitra Wyant urged converting Isolina Park to a tot lot for younger children or otherwise redesigning or restricting the space.

Council members noted constraints in the juvenile system but said they would continue to seek law enforcement and Park & Rec solutions. Chief Swope said the city will review body-worn camera footage tied to the June 2 incident and perform internal evaluations if supervisors gave incorrect guidance to officers.

The council did not take formal action to close or alter the park at the meeting but committed to follow up with increased enforcement steps, Park & Rec coordination and consideration of physical changes to the park.