Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Sex Offender Classification topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Appeals court hears dispute over whether threats and new convictions justify higher sex-offender classification
Summary
In an appeal arising from a Sex Offender Registry Board decision, the defense said the record lacked the factual basis to elevate a registrant from level one to level two; the Board argued repeated threats, messages and disclosure of the victim's address supported the higher designation. The court asked questions about judicial notice and examiner standards and did not rule from the bench.
Get email alerts on the Sex Offender Classification topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The state appeals panel on July 8 heard arguments in John Doe (524733) v. Sex Offender Registry Board over whether a superior court properly upheld a move from a level-one to a level-two sex-offender classification.
Defense attorney Fred Burkeolder told the court his client had been found eligible for reclassification but argued the record did not contain the kinds of corroborating facts courts have required to equate possession of child pornography and similar conduct with a higher "degree of dangerousness." Burkeolder cited prior decisions (referred to in argument as DO 496501 and DO 95318) and said those cases are fact-driven; he urged the panel to require clearer, case-specific evidence before courts permit a jump to level two.
Burkeolder acknowledged his client posed some risk of reoffense but said the legal issue is whether the hearing examiner’s findings support the statutorily relevant element of placing a victim in fear of bodily harm. He emphasized that the alleged threats here were made to the victim’s father and argued the record lacked evidence showing the minor herself was placed in fear or that the caller took overt acts supporting an inference of imminent physical harm.
Muhammad Yasin, counsel for the Sex Offender Registry Board, asked the court to affirm the superior court’s judgment and the level-two classification. Yasin said the hearing examiner found repeated, credible threats over a month, that the offender sent a photo showing the father with the 13-year-old child, identified himself as a pedophile, and provided the victim’s address and voicemails indicating he might come to the residence — facts Yasin argued reasonably supported a finding the family was placed in apprehension of a contact sex offense and justified elevation to level two.
Bench questions during argument focused on whether convictions adjudicated after an administrative hearing but before appeal may be the subject of judicial notice and on whether examiners are trained to distinguish "risk of reoffense" from "degree of dangerousness." Counsel for both sides said they had found little direct case law on the judicial-notice question; they also acknowledged precedent showing hearing examiners sometimes reach differing combinations of risk and dangerousness (for example, a high risk of reoffense paired with a lower degree of dangerousness).
No decision was announced from the bench. After thanking counsel, the court moved on to its next oral argument and adjourned the session.

