Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Transportation Wrightsboro Road topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Committee advances supplemental agreement and $1.245M design amendment for Wrightsboro Road widening
Summary
The Development Planning Services Committee moved to approve a $1.25 million supplemental agreement with GDOT and amend the Benesch design contract by $1,245,496 to complete preliminary engineering and advance Wrightsboro Road toward a 2032 construction letting, staff said.
Get email alerts on the Transportation Wrightsboro Road topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Development Planning Services Committee on June 9 advanced funding and contract changes to continue engineering on the Wrightsboro Road widening project. Staff asked the committee to recognize a $1.25 million supplemental agreement to the project framework agreement with GDOT and to approve Amendment No. 1 to the design contract with Benesch, increasing that contract by $1,245,496 to finish the preliminary engineering (PE), right-of-way and final design phases.
The items were presented by Mr. Titus, a county planning staff member, who said the board previously authorized about $2.815 million last year to start the PE phase and that the supplemental agreement is a mechanism to recognize newly requested MPO funding. "Now that we understand the full scope of the project, we understand what's required from NEPA," Mr. Titus said, adding that the environmental review is the most difficult federal requirement and that letting for construction is targeted for about 2032 "contingent on us finding the funding." He estimated the project will cost about $30 million or more.
Why it matters: completing preliminary engineering and NEPA clears the way for final design and future federal reimbursement but does not guarantee construction funding. Staff said the project will likely rely on a mix of federal grants, MPO contributions, TIA discretionary funds and local sources and that sufficient funding has not yet been secured.
Background and board action: Mr. Titus told the committee the first notice to proceed under the design contract was a scoping task order and that subsequent task orders began PE design work. With a clearer scope, staff requested the supplemental agreement to recognize an additional $1.25 million through the MPO for PE. The committee moved the items to the consent calendar and the measures were carried by consent with no recorded roll-call vote on the record.
Next steps: Staff will proceed with the supplemental-agreement paperwork and the contract amendment to Benesch to continue design work; securing construction funding remains a future step. The committee did not set an immediate funding source and cautioned that the construction letting date is contingent on funding availability.

