Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Transportation Bridge Posting topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Main Street bridge over the Medomak to be posted at 30-ton limit; board warned of emergency-vehicle impacts

Waldoboro Select Board · June 10, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

A Select Board member said the Maine DOT notified the town that the downtown Main Street bridge over the Medomak will be posted for a 30-ton limit; the board noted that ladder trucks and large-truck detour routes will be affected and replacement is not expected for seven years.

The Waldoboro Select Board was alerted to a new 30-ton posted weight limit for the downtown bridge over the Medomak, a change board members said will affect large-truck detour routes and the town’s ladder fire truck.

A board member said the town received a phone call and an official letter from the Maine Department of Transportation that the bridge will be posted for 30 tons. Members said that when there is an accident on Route 1 and large trucks need a detour route, Main Street will no longer be available to them. The board also noted that the ladder truck currently cannot cross the span under the new limit.

Staff said replacement of that bridge is not expected for at least seven years because of funding timelines. Members questioned whether recent state cuts to road and bridge funding would affect committed downtown projects; staff said previously committed projects were already funded and would not be impacted.

The board asked staff to monitor DOT communications and coordinate with police, fire and EMS regarding detour plans and equipment limitations.