Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Redevelopment Housing topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

New Bern aldermen and redevelopment commissioners agree to focus on Avenues housing plan after sparring over staffing and lot sales

New Bern Board of Aldermen and Redevelopment Commission · June 9, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At a June 9 joint session, New Bern officials clarified which lots are held by the redevelopment commission, confirmed the executive director position is not funded in the current budget, and directed staff to package parcels and return with a narrower project focus for the 'Avenues' housing effort; staff was asked to draft a revised resolution on commission size.

New Bern’s Board of Aldermen and Redevelopment Commission met June 9 for a joint special session to clarify the commission’s role, staffing and property disposition procedures and to agree on near-term priorities for an “Avenues” housing project.

Mayor Odum opened the meeting by saying the point of the gathering was to "literally get around the table and have a conversation" after recent turnover on both bodies. He urged the commission to identify a limited set of realistic projects that the board of aldermen can support.

Why it matters: Commissioners and aldermen said the redevelopment area contains multiple city and commission-owned lots that could be used for affordable housing, but confusion about which parcels are managed by the commission and how sales proceed has slowed action. Officials signaled a preference for aggregating lots to attract developers or pursuing partnerships that would allow modular or seller-financed homes for qualified buyers.

At the meeting, staff explained the commission maintains its own inventory of properties and that sales generally use the upset-bid process and require governing-board approval. Commissioners asked for clearer agenda labeling when parcels are presented so potential buyers know whether a lot is a "redevelopment" parcel or a general city asset. One staff speaker summarized the sale threshold used in practice: the commission will consider initiating an upset bid when a minimum offer of 75% of assessed value is presented.

Commissioners pressed staff about the status of an “Avenues” housing concept. Some members said they had been given an executive summary and environmental work had been done on a phase one; others said no full project has been completed. The board heard that roughly seven to eight parcels in the Avenues area could form the nucleus of a small, site-controlled development if the commission pursues aggregation and public–private partnerships.

On staffing and budget, officials confirmed the executive director (ED) position is not funded in the board-approved budget for the coming year; instead, two city staff members—Marvin Williams and another staffer referenced as Diego—have been designated to support the commission in the interim. That designation, commissioners said, means the commission will need to use staff relationships and outside partners (such as Habitat for Humanity or the housing authority) to move projects forward without a full-time ED.

Commissioners and aldermen debated implementation options: build-and-sell (including seller financing), work with local nonprofits to produce owner-occupied units, or package contiguous lots to make projects viable for developers. Several speakers urged using the commission’s statutory powers to acquire property, execute contracts and solicit grants, and to consult legal staff about the statutory scope of those powers.

Members also discussed board composition. The commission currently has two vacancies and the enabling resolution sets membership at nine. Officials debated whether to leave the ordinance at nine members but delay appointments, or to amend the resolution to reduce membership to seven to ease quorum problems. The aldermen asked staff to prepare a revised resolution and any ordinance amendments for the governing board to consider at the next meeting.

The meeting concluded with direction to city staff to spend more time in the redevelopment area, copy the commission chair on public-works activity affecting redevelopment parcels, and return with clearer project proposals and an updated resolution on commissioner numbers. With those directions entered, a motion to adjourn was made, seconded and approved.

What’s next: Staff will draft a revised resolution to change (or reaffirm) the commission’s membership count and return recommended language to the board; commissioners expect staff to present a narrowed set of project options and to package parcels where feasible to attract developers or nonprofit partners.

Sources: Direct remarks and exchanges at the June 9, 2026 joint meeting of the New Bern Board of Aldermen and Redevelopment Commission.