Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Personnel Transition topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Acting city manager to depart June 30 after settlement; chief named acting assistant to aid transition
Summary
Acting City Manager Dr. Stephanie Hernandez announced she will leave city service June 30 after the parties resolved an EEOC complaint; she appointed Chief David Kunihero as acting assistant city manager to help with the July transition and urged the commission to prioritize the budget, ordinances and a supported city manager selection.
Get email alerts on the Personnel Transition topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Acting City Manager Dr. Stephanie Hernandez told the Alamogordo City Commission on June 9 that she will remain in office through June 30 to assist with transition and will leave after a resolution of a discrimination charge filed earlier this year.
Hernandez, speaking during her final commission report, said she had been performing both the city manager and assistant city manager duties for 21 months and that the workload had become unsustainable. To smooth the handoff, she said she had appointed Chief David Kunihero as acting assistant city manager and that he had accepted the role to oversee directors and critical services during the transition.
Hernandez recounted her recruitment history for the permanent city manager role, saying she had been told she was the highest‑ranked candidate before the process was canceled and that a later scheduled interview was canceled when other candidates withdrew. She also described steps she took to resolve lingering employment matters, saying she had negotiated options to move matters forward rather than leave the issues unresolved.
The commission recessed into executive session later in the meeting and, on reconvening, read a statement saying Hernandez had filed a charge with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Jan. 26, 2026 and that the parties had successfully resolved the charge. The commission’s public statement confirmed Hernandez will leave the city effective June 30, 2026.
Hernandez asked the commission to focus next on three priorities: the budget, the city’s planning and ordinance updates, and appointing and supporting a city manager who can carry out commission policy. She said staff recruitment (city attorney, assistant city attorney) remains underway and that staff would continue working through the fiscal year transition, including fireworks planning and other routine operations.
Chief Kunihero, whom Hernandez identified as the acting assistant city manager, was introduced to the commission in the meeting and praised for his operational experience overseeing public safety and other high‑demand departments. Hernandez emphasized that an acting assistant city manager does not become acting city manager automatically; the commission retains authority to appoint an acting or permanent city manager.
The commission did not take formal action on appointments to the permanent manager role during the meeting. The statement on reconvening from executive session provided the formal personnel outcome and confirmed the departure date.
Next steps: Hernandez will remain in the office through June 30 to assist with the transition; the commission and staff will continue recruitment for the city attorney and other vacancies and will address procedures for selecting the next city manager.

