Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Broadband Access topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Local broadband organizer says 70% of county is ‘unserved,’ offers data and outreach

Ironton City Council · June 11, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Matthew Knight introduced the Lawrence County Better Broadband Initiative at the June 11 council meeting, said roughly 70% of Florence County is considered unserved for internet speeds, and cited Broadband Ohio data showing about 850 addresses tied to $1.2 million in funding.

Ironton — At the June 11 meeting a local broadband organizer introduced a door-to-door data-collection effort and urged residents to report connectivity problems.

Matthew Knight, who said he represents the Lawrence County Better Broadband Initiative, told the council he had been collecting data after residents in South Point reported internet problems that prevent uploads of items such as police bodycam footage. "About 70% give or take of Florence County is considered unserved as far as internet speeds are concerned," Knight said. He added that Broadband Ohio provided a list of about 850 addresses connected with roughly $1.2 million in funding — about $1,400 per house — and that he has flyers and a website (LCBI.org) for residents to follow up.

Knight said he had filed nonprofit paperwork and expected to begin outreach; he invited council members and staff to take flyers and contact the group with leads. Council members accepted the information and indicated interest in follow-up and outreach.

What happened next: Knight left contact materials with the clerk; council members suggested staff could help circulate information to residents who report connectivity problems.