Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Scheduled Service topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Airport Advisory Committee: scheduled commercial service unlikely without federal grant

Airport Advisory Committee · January 6, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At its Jan. 6 meeting the Airport Advisory Committee heard that scheduled commercial flights are unlikely in the near term because federal grant funding would be required, competition for grants (notably with Bar Harbor) is strong, and a previously interested carrier has changed ownership.

The Airport Advisory Committee met Jan. 6 and was told that scheduled commercial air service to the airport is unlikely without federal grant support. Billy Boone, Council Representative, said federal grants would be necessary and that the airport could not support scheduled service solely on local passenger traffic.

"Federal grant money would be required in order for scheduled service to occur, as we could not support it based on traffic generated here," said Billy Boone. He added that the airport would be competing with Bar Harbor for available federal funds and that the ownership of a carrier that had expressed interest last year has since changed, making that carrier's continued interest uncertain.

Committee members described the federal grant process and local politics as complex, and participants flagged the practical difficulties of persuading a carrier to commit without funding. No motion or directive was taken on pursuing grant applications at the meeting.

The committee did not set a timetable for further action. Members noted the possibility of revisiting the issue in the future if funding opportunities or carrier interest change.